At about the time the United States was pulling itself out of the dark early months of World War II, a young Montana beet farmer and cattle feeder recently over from Denmark teamed up with a packer-stockman – also a Danish transplant – and started a livestock market. Chris Hansen and Ingvard Svarre, were simply bringing to the area what was needed for the livestock industry to flourish, this great addition to Sidney happened in 1943 and at that time being called, Yellowstone Livestock Co. Hansen and Svaare continued to operate the yards, and in 1960 Dan Price joined their team.
In 1966 the current facility was built, at the time being one of the nation’s most modern livestock sales yards. Shares were sold to local residents to help pay for the building of the new facility. Hansen and Svaare continually updated equipment and worked to keep the office abreast of the ever changing business procedures. Svarre himself, through his active participation in industry affairs was instrumental in the development of the industry service know as the Livestock Board of Trade, which today is a huge benefit to both the sellers and the buyers.
In 1969 Loran and Dennis Casey of Wolf Point and Dan Price of Sidney purchased the business end of Yellowstone Livestock from Hansen, Svaare and Price, renaming it Sidney Livestock Market. The Share Holders continued to own the land and buildings. Loran’s son joined the business in 1978 and son-in-law in 1983.
Loran Casey and his family continued to run the facility until 2008 when the stockholders decided to buy out the Casey family and bring back the original name of Yellowstone Livestock Company. It remainded Yellowstone Livestock until September 1st 2012 when it was bought out and renamed Sidney Livestock Market Center. Tim Larson has taken over as manager, Roger Nygaard is our fieldman from Wolf Point, and Christy Albin is our office manager.